Sole Searching is intended and designed to generate and create serious thinking and deep consideration regarding one’s beliefs, motivation and driving force to finally move yourself to the next level.

Trust The Process

The Process is necessary. Through the process, you start to discover who you are, what is potentially blocking you or holding you back from progressing and developing to your full potential and placing faith and trust that what you are doing will create a shift, a profound sense that your hard work is paying off.  

There are three subcategories that fall neatly under trust the process. I developed these for athletes to conduct a mental inventory. Embrace these three and you are moving in the right direction.

Protect the Process: You need to show up at the pool, time and time again, no deviation. If it’s on your schedule, you do it. Woody Allen so elegantly said: “If 90% of success in life (and swimming) is showing up, the other 10% depends on what you’re showing up for.” For the love of me I will never understand the athlete who complains about their swimming but fails to show up and swim. Despite the lack of any physical evidence, commit to keep showing up!

Swimming is easy but it’s also hard, technique-driven building on tiny innocuous improvements.

Coach: “I didn’t ask you to like It, I simply asked you to do it.”

Embrace the Process: Do what the coach says to do: the drill work, technique training sessions, dry land, strength and breath work.

Mobility work: just do it

Strength sessions: just do it

Purchased training plans: just do it.

Learn to swim from a book: just do it

Watch a video to swim: just do it.

Embrace the process simply means I am in, 100% wax on wax off.

Fall in love with the process: Avoid creating a duty-bound approach to your training. Find a way to make it enjoyable. Learn to fall in love with the process. I get to do this training vs. I have to do this training. It will make your life so much easier than all the negative energy telling yourself and other athletes how tough it is. Just do it!

Success leaves clues,  

Coach Frank